The Region of Peel serves a vibrant and culturally diverse community of more than 1.4 million residents and 88,000 businesses in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga. Committed to service excellence, transparency in decision-making and responsible tax management, the Region delivers a wide range of municipal services that are customer-focused and cost-effective.
The Region of Peel has recently completed a Strategic Planning process that engaged our residents and stakeholders to answer one question: “What can you imagine for the future of Peel?” All the feedback received formed the path forward and the strategic direction for the Region over the next 20 years.
Activation Therapist, Part-Time, Temporary (6 months)
Malton Village LTC - Hwy 427 & Rexdale Blvd area
Health Services - Long Term Care
CUPE Local #966
Malton Village LTC located at 7075 Rexwood Road, Mississauga is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic Activation Therapist who will assist in the adoption of the Butterfly Model of Dementia Care™ in the Redstone Unit at Malton Village, providing person-centred care of those living with dementia. The successful candidate will have completed their diploma or degree in Activation Therapy and bring passion and care to the work they do..... so why not choose a rewarding career with The Region of Peel's Long Term Care?
What's an Absolute Requirement? Availability! Shifts are 11:00am-7:00pm and include alternate weekends and holidays.
What drives us? Providing excellent customer service to our residents and families - it’s in the heart of what we do! We have the unique ability to touch and make a positive difference in people's lives. If you thrive on a career built on rewarding experiences this may be the opportunity for you. Do you enjoy working in a fun, team-centred environment? Apply today!
Reporting to Supervisor, Activation Services (or designate) you will assist the Activation Department to formulate, implement, evaluate and modify various individual and group therapeutic modalities which meet the restorative, social, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and physical needs of residents.
• Implement and conduct specialized programs that enhance self-esteem and self-worth, i.e., reminiscing and current events
• Conduct assessments of residents’ recreation and leisure needs
• Coordinate and implement appropriate outreach services
• Assist the Rehabilitation Assistant to perform some restorative care programs/activities
• Maintain good relationships and effective communication with the residents, staff, volunteers and visitors
• Attend in-service education sessions, staff meetings, workshops, etc. as directed by the Activation Services Supervisor
• Maintain appropriate records in accordance with the policies and procedures and legislated standards of the Centre
• Activation Therapist responsibilities as per job description.
• Two (2) year Diploma in Activation or Recreation Therapy from a Community College or University is required
• Must have organizational skills to prioritize work and coordinate scheduling with other members of the health care team
• Must be able to work with minimum supervision, have innovative skills, and be able to organize and assess programming
• Must have effective oral and written communication skills in English
• Must be able to communicate appropriately with residents, staff, volunteers and visitors
• May be required to hold a Class “F” license if assigned driving responsibilities
• computer skills are required
• Must have a valid CPR/First Aid certification
• Must possess teaching skills to convey techniques to guide residents and families
• Must be physically able to perform all delegated duties.
Compensation: As per the collective agreement CUPE Local 966
Location: 7075 Rexwood Road, Mississauga
Hours of Work: Part-time, temporary (6 months) 11:00am-7:00pm, including alternate weekends and holidays
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply on-line and complete the attached questionnaire.
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone’s contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Peel is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address for this posted position will receive all written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address they have provided on their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence..