The Region of Peel serves a vibrant and culturally diverse community of more than 1.4 million residents and 88,000 businesses in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga. Committed to service excellence, transparency in decision-making and responsible tax management, the Region delivers a wide range of municipal services that are customer-focused and cost-effective.
The Region of Peel has recently completed a Strategic Planning process that engaged our residents and stakeholders to answer one question: “What can you imagine for the future of Peel?” All the feedback received formed the path forward and the strategic direction for the Region over the next 20 years.
Student, Vector-Borne Disease
Health Services – Health Protection
Reporting to a Team Leader, you will:
• Undertake larval and adult mosquito surveillance
• Identify and map mosquito breeding sites using global positioning system units
• Investigate complaints about potential mosquito breeding sites
• Conduct active tick surveillance
• Respond to telephone inquiries pertaining to vector-borne disease issues
• Currently enrolled in a Public Health and Safety Program (Environmental Health program approved by the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors Board of Certification) and returning to the program in September 2018.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) to interact with the diverse population within Peel
• Knowledge of MS Word and Excel
• Self-motivation and the ability to work independently
• Strong planning and organizational skills to complete surveillance activities within a specified time frame
• Willingness to work some evenings and/or the occasional weekend
• Access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license (G or G2).
Location: 2 Copper Road, Brampton Start/end dates: May 24, 2018 – August 31, 2018
Hours of work: Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply and complete the attached questionnaire.
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone’s contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Peel is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address for this posted position will receive all written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address they have provided on their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence..